Tulane Home Tulane Shield logo linking to site home page

Withdrawal Process

In order to request a withdrawal from your Tulane retirement plans you must meet one of the following criteria:  

  • You are at least age 59 ½ when you request the withdrawal.
  • You have been voluntarily or non-voluntarily terminated from the University.   

For 457(b) plan withdrawals, no in-service withdrawals are permitted. Therefore, you must be completely terminated, either voluntary or non-voluntary, from the university. The age 59 ½ criteria does not apply to 457(b) plan withdrawals. 

If you meet one of the above requirements, you may request a withdrawal following the steps below.

TIAA Plan Withdrawals

  1. Call 1-800-842-2776 to request forms.
  2. Sign all forms. If you are married, your spouse's signature must be notarized or a plan administrator at the Office of Human Resources can witness the signing of papers. To have a plan administrator witness the signature, you must make an appointment in advance by emailing Benefits at tubenefits@tulane.edu.
  3. You will then return the forms to TIAA or human resources can send them for you.
  4. The vendor will then contact us and we will approve the withdrawal via an online portal.

Hardship Withdrawals

Hardship withdrawals are limited to the Tax-Deferral 403(b) plan with specific IRS regulations. For more information on Hardship Withdrawals, contact the Office of Human Resources at (504) 865-4748 or hr@tulane.edu.