Tulane Home Tulane Shield logo linking to site home page

Open Enrollment For 2022 Benefits Is Now Open, Oct 11 - Oct 29

Open Enrollment is an opportunity for all benefits-eligible employees to enroll in or make changes to their benefits for the upcoming year. Open Enrollment is passive this year, which means if you do not make any changes, you will remain in the same coverage for 2022, except for FSA/HSA elections. Visit 2022 Benefits Open Enrollment: Back TUgether for more info. 



Coronavirus Employee Resources

Latest Review: September 2021 


How can I stay current about university operations as it relates to COVID-19?

For the most updated information about university operations, please visit Tulane Stronger TUGether

Additionally, major announcements and updates will be sent to your Tulane email. You can also follow @Tulane on Twitter.


What should I do if I am sick or I think I have been exposed to COVID-19?

  • If you are sick, notify your supervisor, stay home, and seek medical care. 
  • Regardless of vaccination status, if you are symptomatic or think you've been exposed to COVID-19, you should immediately take a COVID-19 test and isolate yourself. 
  • To schedule your test, contact the Living Well Clinics of your personal healthcare provider. Do not test at the Tulane Testing Centers of the Health Center as these locations are for surveillance testing only. If you do not have a primary care provider, please call the Louisiana Department of Health hotline at 1-855-523-2652.
  • Complete the COVID-19 Reporting Form 
  • If you test negative, you can return to work and retest again 5-7 days post-exposure. If you test positive, you should continue isolating and report your positive test results immediately to CHTestResults@tulane.edu 
What do I do if my healthcare provider tells me to self-quarantine?

If an employee is told by a healthcare provider to self-quarantine, even if the employee is not symptomatic, the employee should stay home. If the employee is currently working from home and can continue to work, the employee will receive pay as normal based on the regular work schedule.

If the illness or quarantine prevents the employee from working, then the COVID-19 leave may be utilized. The employee should notify their supervisor as soon as possible of the need to self-quarantine.



Managers, Supervisors and Timekeepers

What if I need guidance on an HR or employee matter?

If you ever need assistance or are in doubt about an employee issue consult your HR business partner.

What should I do if an employee does not follow the university’s established protocols during COVID-19 such as the face covering/mask protocol?

All employees are expected comply with the university’s health strategies including wearing face coverings. Supervisors should communicate regularly with their employees about these protocols as they will go a long way to keep our environment safe. Failure to adhere to these protocols place our community at risk and may be subject to disciplinary action. 

Managers play a critical role in ensuring the safety of their employees, as well as the general Tulane community, by taking the appropriate steps to address non-compliance situations whether you observe the behavior and/or it may be reported to you.  It is important that you respond quickly and appropriately to those situations. 

Please review the Manager’s Guide for Addressing Non-Compliance During COVID-19 for more information.

What steps should I take if an employee reports they suspect they may have COVID-19 or have been confirmed positive with COVID-19?

The first step you should take whether an employee reports they may have COVID-19 or they are positive is to complete the COVID-19 Reporting Form.  This form as well as other guidelines about testing, contact tracing, and quarantine/isolation can be found on the university’s public health strategies page.

What guidance should I follow when an employee reports that they are ready to return to work after testing positive for COVID-19 or caring for an ill family member who was positive?

If the employee is able to work remotely, supervisors should allow them to do so. Employees returning to work should secure permission from their supervisor before returning to a Tulane work site. The university follows CDC guidelines for employees returning to work. The CDC offers different strategies intended to be applied as appropriate based on local conditions and operational needs. Please consult with your HR business partner if you have questions.

For Timekeepers: How do I update Kronos to capture COVID-19 leave?

Instructions for using the COVID-19 leave pay code in Kronos can be found here.


COVID-19 Accessibility Request FAQs

What types of accommodations can I request and who do I need to contact?

Reasonable accommodations can take many forms, from modifying the physical layout of an office space, to providing protective equipment or assistive technology, to a flexible schedule or remote work. Whether an accommodation is considered reasonable depends on several factors, including the requirements of your particular job.  If you’d like to talk about different types of accommodations before you decide whether to apply for them, you can schedule a call or Zoom meeting by contacting the Office of Campus Accessibility at ADAaccess@tulane.edu or 504-247-1774 to discuss options.

For all inquiries related to COVID-19, faculty should start by consulting with the Office of Campus Accessibility by contacting them at ADAaccess@tulane.edu.  Staff should start by consulting with the HR business partner.  The ADA/504 coordinator and HR business partner will then make appropriate referrals, as needed.

If you have questions related to religious accommodations or wish to request one, please email us at employeerelations@tulane.edu.  Someone will contact you to schedule an appointment to discuss your request. You may also complete the Request for Religious Accommodation Form, then submit it via email to employeerelations@tulane.edu.

What medical conditions would qualify as a disability in the context of COVID-19?

If you have a medical condition that places you at higher risk from COVID-19, you may be a qualified individual with a disability within the meaning of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and you may be entitled to reasonable accommodations at work. There is no exhaustive list of medical conditions that constitute disabilities under the ADA; however, if you have an underlying medical condition that puts you at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19, we recommend that you talk to the Office of Campus Accessibility at ADAaccess@tulane.edu about the possibility of accommodations. You can be qualified for accommodations even if you have never requested them before, and if your needs change, you can discontinue or modify your accommodations at any time.

What if I have no underlying health conditions, but I have a family member that does, and I am concerned about exposing them to COVID-19?

If the medical conditions that form the basis for your request are those of family member, not your own, the request does not fall under the ADA/504.  However, there are two other avenues you could take for such requests.

The first option would be to refer you to the FMLA Coordinator, Bunnie Sylve.  You may be eligible for job-protected family medical leave as covered by the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) based on the serious medical condition of a close family member.  FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of leave within a rolling 12-month period; FMLA leave may be taken intermittently or in block form.  If you wish to continue working (just remotely), FMLA leave may not be your preferred option.

The second option is to refer your request as a non-ADA job modification. For faculty, during the COVID-19 return to work process, the academic dean’s offices are working to process these types of requests in consultation with the HR business partner.  For staff, these requests are processed by department supervisors in consultation with the HR business partner.

What if I am worried about childcare options?

If you do not have an underlying medical condition that places you at higher risk from COVID-19, but you do have concerns related to childcare, your request would not fall under the ADA/504.  In that case, the request will be processed as a non-ADA job modification.

What if I am over the age of 65 but do not have any underlying health conditions that place me at higher risk from COVID-19?

Unfortunately, unlike the ADA/504, the federal age discrimination statute (ADEA) does not have provisions for reasonable accommodations. That means that employees who request a job modification based on age alone are not entitled to them under the law, even though they are at higher risk from COVID-19 per the CDC guidelines. That said, the university recognizes the risk posed by the virus and is trying to reduce that risk wherever possible, in some cases by providing remote work opportunities.

What is the process of requesting accommodations due to an underlying medical condition that places me at higher risk from COVID-19?

If you would like to move forward with requesting accommodations, the application has two steps: 1) fill out the Employee Reasonable Accommodations Request Form and submit it to ADAaccess@tulane.edu; and 2) provide documentation from your medical provider regarding your condition. 

Once we have your completed request form and medical documentation, the Office of Campus Accessibility may reach out to you for more information about your job duties or other aspects of your request. For faculty, a physical presence on campus is typically considered an essential function of the job. That said, requests for reasonable accommodations (including remote work) are considered on a case-by-case basis and involve an interactive process in which we consider the facts of your individual situation.

What does my doctor’s letter need to say?

If you decide to request reasonable accommodations under the ADA/504, your request and medical documentation will be submitted directly to the Office of Campus Accessibility at ADAaccess@tulane.edu. The medical documentation should ideally be in the form of a letter from your doctor or other medical provider (signed/dated/on letterhead) which confirms your medical condition/symptoms, gives their anticipated duration (if known), and describes the functional limitations imposed by the condition that could affect your work. If your provider is comfortable recommending accommodations that could help you at work, please ask them to include that information in the letter.

Any medical documentation you submit will be maintained in a confidential file, separate from your general HR personnel file.

Will asking for accommodations affect my ability to be promoted or have negative effects on my job? Could it affect my eligibility for any other service, teaching, or employment considerations at Tulane?

Under the ADA/504, there can be no adverse employment action resulting from a person’s choice to request accommodations or file a discrimination complaint based on a disability.
Apart from receiving requested accommodations, an employee with a disability should not be treated differently with regard to any aspect of employment.  The ADA strictly prohibits disability discrimination in all areas of employment, including (but not limited to) hiring, performance improvement/conduct proceedings, termination, promotion, work-related travel, and professional development.

A person with a disability who is receiving accommodations can be terminated if they are no longer qualified for the job, or are not meeting the performance and conduct standards required of all Tulane employees.  However, those employment standards must be applied equitably across the board; a person with a disability should not be held to higher standards or subject to stricter scrutiny than non-disabled peers.

Who has access to the information that I share? Will you share this information with anyone outside of the university?

Your request and any documentation will be kept in a confidential file, separate from your general HR personnel file.

We do not share information about a person’s ADA application or medical condition outside of the university, unless that information is discoverable/subpoenaed as part of a legal proceeding.  The only other circumstance where that action would be warranted would be an emergency where the requestor told us that they posed an immediate risk of serious bodily harm to themselves or other people.

What does my supervisor/department chair need to know about my request?

We will ask for your permission before speaking to anyone else, including your supervisor/department chair, regarding your request.  Your chair should keep the fact that you are requesting accommodations (as well as the reason for the request) confidential and should not request any medical documentation from you.

Once we receive medical documentation and determine that you are ADA qualified, we will consult with your chair and academic dean about the requirements of your job and the needs of your department but will not share the medical basis for your request with them.


Temporary Emergency COVID-19 Paid Leave

For what purpose can employees use COVID-19 leave?

Eligible employees may use COVID-19 leave for:

  • Self-quarantine, isolation or family care needs related to COVID-19 exposure/illness,
  • Caring for children that are at home due to the K-12 school or daycare closures. Note: this is primarily intended for employees that are unable to work remotely although COVID-19 leave may be used to offset the hours remote workers are reasonably unable to work due to childcare issues such as inability to work a full adjusted schedule,
  • An employee is unable to work all of the hours in a work day due to a reduced schedule as a result of staggering shifts put in place to maintain social distancing.
  • Other reasonably related COVID-19 circumstances (as determined in Tulane's discretion)

This special type of leave is neither sick nor vacation. Any unused COVID-19 leave will not accrue or be paid upon separation.

Is COVID-19 leave available to me if I am able to work remotely, but my children are home because of school/day care closures?

When the schools/day cares closed, leadership recognized the potential hardship created for many employees. We have employees with functions that require them to physically report to work for Tulane’s essential work to continue. These workers could not leave their children without supervision, thus one of the reasons for the COVID-19 leave was to provide temporary pay continuance for those unable to work remotely due to childcare issues. If an employee’s role allows them to work remotely, and they are also caring for children, we are recommending for leaders to work with employees to adjust schedules to the extent possible. This will allow for the supervision of children and further pay continuance without the use of COVID-19 leave so that it may be available should an illness occur. Should reasonable circumstances beyond the employee’s control cause hardship due to work demands and childcare, we are recommending consultation with your leader and/or HR business partner to discuss options, which may include the use of COVID-19 leave.

How do I request use of COVID-19 leave and how do I report it on my timesheet?

Employees must request COVID-19 leave through their Supervisors. Employees are not responsible for entering COVID-19 leave in Kronos. Supervisors must notify the timekeeper of the date the employee began COVID-19 leave. The timekeeper will enter the time in Kronos as COVID-19PL. Sick and vacation time not related to the coronavirus should be entered as normal in Kronos.

Are employees required to use sick or vacation leave if they are directed to stay home by a healthcare provider or government health agency due to COVID-19?

When possible, departments are encouraged to allow employees to work remotely if they are directed to stay home from work by a healthcare provider or government health agency due to COVID-19. For eligible employees who are unable to work remotely and are directed to stay home by a healthcare provider or government agency due to COVID-19, COVID-19 leave may be used first before other forms of leave (e.g. sick or vacation) are used.

What happens when I have exhausted COVID-19 leave?

When COVID-19 leave is exhausted, staff may use sick time. If sick time is exhausted, staff may use vacation time.

Supervisors may reach out to your HR business partner for further guidance if COVID-19 leave, sick time, and vacation time is exhausted.

Can I keep the COVID-19 leave if I do not use it during the COVID-19 outbreak?

No. Any unused COVID-19 leave will not accrue nor be paid upon separation of employment. COVID-19 leave may only be used for COVID-19 related circumstances. The purpose of the temporary emergency leave is to give employees the most flexibility during this fluid situation. These policies are subject to change.


Health & Wellbeing

What Telemedicine/Virtual Visit options are available?

Telemedicine, sometimes referred to as virtual visits, allows health care professionals to evaluate, diagnose and treat patients at a distance using telecommunications technology. In an effort to protect both patients and staff during the COVID-19 outbreak, many health care providers are requiring certain visits to be performed virtually. We encourage this practice and have included the chart below to help you understand the differences between these virtual visits, and the recently added Teladoc option. Both options are covered within our plans.

In Person Office Visit

Traditional walk-in or by appointment visits to your provider's office

  • Both POS and HRA Plans: You pay a copay
  • HDHP: You pay the full cost of the visit until your deductible is met. After deductible is met you pay 20%.
Virtual Visits

Virtual appointment with your regular provider, set up by the provider's office.

  • Both POS and HRA Plans: You pay a copay
  • HDHP: You pay the full cost of the visit until your deductible is met. After deductible is met you pay 20%.

Teladoc is an independent company that provides 24/7/365 access to a board-certified physician through the convenience of phone or video consults. Visit www.teladoc.com or call 866-789-8155 to set up your account and log in with your username and password whenever you need a consult with a Teladoc physician.

  • Both POS and HRA Plans: $0 copay effective 4/01 for 90 days
  • HDHP: You pay the full cost of the visit until your deductible is met. After deductible is met you pay 20%.
Is testing for the coronavirus (COVID-19) covered under Tulane’s medical Insurance?

COVID-19 testing is covered at 100% consistent with Center for Disease Control (CDC) guidance where such testing is medically necessary not covered as part of the public health service. No co-pays apply and the deductible is waived on the High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP).

What if I have difficulty getting my maintenance prescriptions?

The health plan will increase access to prescription medications by encouraging members to use their 90-day mail order benefit. The health plan will also ensure formulary flexibility if there are shortages or access issues. Patients will not be liable for additional charges that stem from obtaining a non-preferred medication if the preferred medication is not available due to shortage or access issues.  For more information on how to access the mail-order benefit, login to MyHealthToolkitla.com, click on Benefits, then 2020 Pharmacy Benefits. Once that opens, click on View your Pharmacy Benefits and this opens to your Optum page. There you can request the home delivery option for your prescriptions.

How are medical services for the coronavirus (COVID-19) covered under Tulane’s medical Insurance?

Prior authorizations will be waived for diagnostic tests and for covered services that are medically necessary and consistent with CDC guidance for members diagnosed with COVID-19. The health plan will make dedicated clinical staff available to address inquiries related to medical services, ensuring timeliness of responses related to COVID-19. BCBS will ensure patient testing and any subsequently needed care is done in close coordination with federal, state and public health authorities.

How can we help employees who are experiencing heightened anxiety around COVID-19 pandemic?

The Employee Assistance Program is available for faculty and staff seeking counseling or support to manage stress and anxiety during the COVID-19 outbreak. Crisis resources specific to COVID-19 can be found here. More information about Employee Assistance Programs can be found here. Employees can reach the counseling hotline at 833-848-1764. Tulane is our company code.

What assistance is available to employees who are traveling?

Travel assistance benefits are available to employees covered under The Standard life insurance plan, as well as their eligible dependents (spouse and children through age 25). If an employee or eligible dependent is traveling and has tested positive for COVID-19, their request would be treated like a standard medical case. If the individual is eligible for transport benefits, those benefits would be arranged in accordance with the departing and receiving country’s government clearance on flying. Pre-trip planning services as well as emergency transportation and medical assistance services if a person is traveling at least 100 miles from home or internationally for 180 days or less. Links to the travel assistance flyer and employee card are here for your convenience. We would encourage everyone to either keep the card with them, or put this information in their cell phone prior to any travel.

Travel Assistance - Employee Flyer

Travel Assistance Employee Card

Will one-on-one retirement plan counseling sessions with TIAA and Fidelity be available?

Both TIAA and Fidelity are suspending in-person meetings. Meetings already scheduled will be held telephonically.


Student Employees

Can students continue to work as student employees?

As we enter Modified Phase Three, our intention is to allow as many of our student employees as possible to return to work to carry out the essential work of the University. Students should contact their supervisors to discuss any modifications to shifts, schedules, or remote work possibilities if needed. For more information on student employment, see our Student Employment page.

How can students find a job?

All student employment opportunities (FWS and non-FWS) are now posted on Handshake through our partnership with NTC Career Services. Visit the Student Employment Guide to Finding a Job for more information.

I need to make an appointment to present my I-9 supporting documents, where can I go?

Visit the HR I-9 Website to view acceptable supporting documents and schedule an in-person appointment or download remote instructions if you are not currently in New Orleans.