Tulane University offers Long-Term Disability (LTD) which is designed to continue a portion of your earnings during extended periods of disability as a result of an illness or an injury. This plan is administered through The Standard.
- Faculty & Staff -The Standard - LTD, through The Standard Insurance Company, is designed to continue a portion of your earnings during extended periods (out of work for ninety days or more) of disability as a result of an illness or an injury.The maximum monthly benefit is $8,000.
- TUMG (ONLY) - The Standard - LTD, through The Standard Insurance Company, is designed to continue a portion of your earnings during extended periods (out of work for ninety days or more) of disability as a result of an illness or an injury.The maximum monthly benefit is $15,000.
LTD participation is mandatory for all benefits eligible employees and enrollment is immediate.
Frequently Asked Questions
There are three main sections to the LTD Claim forms:
- Employee’s Statement & authorizations to release of information to be completed by you
- Employer’s Statement to be completed by Human Resources
- Physician’s Statement to be completed by your physician
- If you are on a leave with pay your benefits and premiums remain the same.
- If you are placed on a leave without pay; your benefits and premium amounts remain the same but you will have to remit the premiums to the Direct Bill Administrator, WageWorks. You will receive information regarding the amounts, i.e. when and where to mail your premiums once placed on a leave without pay.
- When an employee is approved for LTD the department will transition them off the payroll (terminate the position).
- Upon termination, your active benefits will end and you will be offered the opportunity to continue your benefits under COBRA.
- At this point you will pay the full cost of the health insurance.
- If you are under age 60 and approved for LTD you the carrier may allow you to continue your life insurance and waive the premiums.
- If you are over age 60 and approved for LTD you can contact the carrier to convert your policy and they will provide you with the new premium.
- If you are approved for LTD and in the retirement plan, the carrier will continue to make retirement contributions to your account on the university's behalf.
- Approval for LTD is determined by the carrier
To determine if you have a qualified disability as defined by each carrier please the SPDs below:
- The Standard
- Customer Service: 1-800-368-1135
- Group #647381
Have questions about your plan?
Call the Benefits Team
8:30am - 5:00pm CST