International Student FAQs


Am I allowed to work while I pursue a degree at Tulane?

International students are allowed to work on-campus with the approval of the Office of International Students and Scholars. All students must check with OISS before applying for on-campus employment. Students are not allowed to work off-campus without proper work authorization.

How do I set up a direct deposit?

Please be aware that all Tulane University employees are required to receive payments through direct deposit. Therefore, you must first open a checking account if you are planning to work with us. While you are free to open a checking account with a financial institution of your choice, we want to make you aware that opening an account with Liberty Bank is one of the options available to you. In partnership with Tulane, Liberty Bank is committed to assisting all students in setting up their accounts.

Students can receive additional assistance by visiting our on-campus Liberty Bank location, The Financial Spot, in Suite 103 of the Lavin-Bernick Center for University Life. Click here to schedule an appointment, available both in-person and via Zoom, or to get more information about their hours of operation. For any additional questions or assistance, please contact the Office of International Students and Scholars at

Do I qualify for Federal Work Study?

No, international students do not qualify for Federal Work Study, the Federal Work study program is funded by the Department of Education and is only available to U.S. citizens.

Can I apply to jobs if I don't have a Social Security Number?

Yes, International students can apply for on-campus jobs without a SSN as long as they have been approved to work by Tulane University Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS).

Can I complete my new hire paperwork if I haven't received my Social Security Number?

Yes, international students may work and be paid for 90 days while they are waiting for their SSN to be issued. Visit the OISS website for next steps on how to apply for your SSN.

What do I do after I get my Social Security Number?

Once students receive the Social Security card, they MUST update their profile in GLACIER with the SSN, and submit a copy of their SSN card to the payroll department through Frevvo. The I-9 process is not complete until the SSN is updated. If your country of tax residence or citizenship currently has a tax treaty, in effect, with the United States, your eligibility to the tax treaty benefits will only be considered if you have a valid SSN or ITIN, and you have submitted the required forms and documents. Contact the International Tax Office with any questions on Glacier.

How do I gain access to GLACIER?

Contact the International Tax Office at with your Full Name, TUID number, and Tulane Email address to request GLACIER access.

Do I have to pay for U.S. taxes?

Yes, all international students must pay some U.S. taxes, but nonresident aliens are typically exempted from paying Social security and Medicare taxes.  Special U.S. tax regulations and rules apply to all international students.

Is there a limit on the number of hours I can work?

Students on F-1 visas may not work more than a total of 20 hours/week regardless of the number of positions held during academic periods.

Is there a limit on the number of jobs I am allowed to have?

International students are allowed to work two non-work study jobs.

Back to Top