Salary and Hiring Freezes
There will be no merit increases for Fiscal Year 2021. Pay increases associated with faculty promotions will continue. Any other salary adjustment requires the approval from the Provost and Chief Operating Officer.
Faculty searches and hiring for staff positions are frozen. Exceptions will be made for hires essential for our clinical, research or educational mission, and all exceptions require approval from the Provost and Chief Operating Officer.
How do I request an exception to the Hiring Freeze?
As of April 15, 2020, Faculty searches and hiring for staff positions are frozen. Exceptions will be made for hires essential for our clinical, research or educational mission, and all exceptions require approval from the Provost and Chief Operating Officer.
Essential positions being submitted through HCM iReKREWT must contain the answers to the following questions inserted into the “NOTES” section of the vacancy.
- Is this position a current need? Explain.
- Is the position critical to current operations? Explain.
- Is this funded by a 5-ledger or other grant account?
- What is projected estimated salary?
- Can hiring for this position be delayed? Explain.
This information is key to the review and approval process with the Budget Office, Provost, and Chief Operating Officer. Please note that vacancies without this information will be returned to the initiator.
Please contact Kelly Bankston, Director of Talent Acquisition, firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information.
Onboarding New Employees During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Staff Orientation for approved positions is conducted via Zoom every Friday. New Hires will receive an email with the Zoom link.
- If a new employee will physically work on Campus, please review the information below:
- Tulane University requires all faculty, staff and students to complete COVID-19 testing prior to coming to campus.
- New Hires will receive a notification to their new Tulane email account prompting them to schedule a COVID test. They should NOT attempt to schedule before receiving this email.
- When prompted, the appointment should be scheduled as soon as possible.
- COVID-19 testing results will not be accepted from outside providers. The testing must be performed at one of Tulane's testing sites.
- Testing cannot be done prior to a new employee’s start date as they need to be hired into the system as an employee (Faculty or Staff).
- All employees are required to complete online training regarding COVID-19 in TULearn (Bridge). Once hired, they will receive access to TULearn by the end of their first week.
In response to the COVID-19 University update, the Student Employment office recommends supervisors of student employees follow these guidelines:
- Tulane is doing everything possible to reduce the concentration of people on campus and at our workplaces. Our intention is to allow as many of our student employees as possible to continue working. Students may continue to work remotely or on-site for critical work that may not be performed remotely. Students should contact their supervisors to discuss any modifications to shifts, schedules or remote work possibilities. See the Supervising Remote Student Employees document for more guidance on remote student employment.
- Student employees performing on-site work should follow all COVID protocols Tulane has put in place for staff employees working on site.
- Students looking for work should search ‘On-Campus Student Employment’ job openings on Handshake. Contact the Student Employment Office, SEHR@tulane.edu or 504-247-1700 for assistance.
- If students report any illnesses, please encourage them to stay home and to contact their health provider as needed.
For more information, see the Student Employees FAQs in the Coronavirus Employee Resources page.
Student Employment Resources
COVID Resources for Students
Tulane Application for Student Emergency Aid and Assistance
Louisiana Unemployment Benefits
Student Jobs: Search Job Openings on Handshake
Students looking for work should contact the Student Employment Office, SEHR@tulane.edu or 504-247-1700 for assistance.