Salary and Hiring Freezes
There will be no merit increases for Fiscal Year 2021. Pay increases associated with faculty promotions will continue. Any other salary adjustment requires the approval from the Provost and Chief Operating Officer.
Faculty searches and hiring for staff positions are frozen. Exceptions will be made for hires essential for our clinical, research or educational mission, and all exceptions require approval from the Provost and Chief Operating Officer.
In response to the COVID-19 University update, the Student Employment office recommends student supervisors follow these guidelines:
- Tulane is doing everything possible to reduce the concentration of people on campus and at our workplaces. Our intention is to allow as many of our student employees as possible to work remotely, while continuing to carry out the essential work of the University. Students may continue to work on-site for critical work that may not be performed remotely. Students should contact their supervisors to discuss any modifications to shifts, schedules or remote work possibilities. See the Transition to Remote Work document for more guidance.
- Students being paid by stipend will receive their full stipend. Departments do not need to take any actions.
- Students looking for work should contact the Student Employment Office, SEHR@tulane.edu or 504-247-1700 for assistance.
- If students report any illnesses, please encourage them to stay home and to contact their health provider as needed.
If you have any questions, please contact your HR Business Partner.
Federal Work Study Payment Update
Recent guidance from the U.S. Department of Education allows Tulane to pay Federal Work Study ("FWS") students even if students are unable to work scheduled hours because of COVID-19 disruptions.
The Office of Human Resources & Institutional Equity and Office of Financial Aid worked diligently to determine an equitable and compliant methodology for determining FWS payments for active student employees. Students who have recorded hours in Kronos during the Spring 2020 semester will be paid 40 hours per pay period missed up to the FWS award limit at the hourly rate associated with the FWS assignment. This generous calculation allows for the maximum number of hours that may be worked (20 hours/week), even though some students work an average of 10 hours per week.
FWS Students Unable to Work
Federal Work Study (FWS) payments will be made on Friday, April 17 via direct deposit to students who have been unable to continue to work as a result of COVID-19.
- Students last paid on March 20 will be paid 160 hours (40 hours per 4 pay periods missed).
- Students last paid on April 3 will be paid 120 hours (40 hours per 3 pay periods missed).
- All FWS assignments, on which no hours were entered during pay period 4/9/2020 will END and be TERMINATED effective 4/9/2020.
FWS Students Continuing to Work
- Students who continue working in an FWS assignment will be paid according to the work hours recorded in Kronos. PLEASE NOTE: Students need to continue clocking all hours worked in KRONOS if they are still working.
- The last day to work for the Spring 2020 semester and receive Federal Work Study pay is May 7th.
- Students who worked fewer than the maximum allowed hours (20 hours/week) will receive the difference between hours clocked in Kronos and 40 hours per pay period, up to the FWS award limit, on the May 15th paycheck.
- Supervisors will continue to receive a notice when a student’s FWS award balance is $250.00. Any hours worked after the award is exhausted will be charged at 100% to the department.
Departments will be charged the standard 25% labor charge for FWS, and after the pay run, the charge will be transferred to a central COVID labor account.
For more information, see the Student Employees FAQs in the Coronavirus Employee Resources page.
Student Employment Resources
COVID Resources for Students
Tulane Application for Student Emergency Aid and Assistance
Louisiana Unemployment Benefits
Student Jobs: Tulane/College Central Job Board
Students looking for work should contact the Student Employment Office, SEHR@tulane.edu or 504-247-1700 for assistance.